Boss Line: "Eva held him closer and began to rock. Back and forth she rocked him, her eyes wandering around his room" (46).
This verse reflects the theme of death and rebirth; it shows how Eva rebirths him through her craddling as if he was a baby again, and then later she decides to pour the kerosene on Plum because as a mother, she realizes that he can't return back to the normal life he had before the war, hence the death theme. But also her killing him deals with a control theme, and it reflects the same meaning of National Suicide Day: controlling the time of the unexpected.
This is really interesting to me because I had a hard time understanding that whole section of the book where Eva visits him in his room and then kills him. I'd also thought about death as being a theme in the book (because people die a lot...) but had not considered it in reference to rebirth. I think another important thing about this quote might be the Eva's eyes, because they are mentioned many times through out the reading.
ReplyDelete